Trusted Advice For Spousal Support And Child Support Matters

All parents have an obligation to financially support their children. And child support issues often go hand in hand with custody matters during a divorce or paternity case. Additionally, during and after a divorce, one spouse may be ordered to support the other spouse financially. This spousal support, or alimony, is based on income and ability to be self-sustaining.

At the law firm of Sebaly Shillito + Dyer, we can assist with cases related to child or spousal support. Based in Dayton and West Chester, our attorneys represent clients throughout Montgomery County and Southwest Ohio. Our goal is to find practical solutions to legal issues, which we will accomplish by carefully assessing your unique needs and providing an honest assessment of possible options. In addition to helping to establish new orders, we also can help with any modification to current support orders due to a significant change in circumstances.

Assistance With Child Support Calculations And Court Orders

Ohio has a set of child support guidelines, which are the baseline regarding who will pay and how much. In general, primary factors that are considered include each parent's salary and how much time he or she spends with the children. Additional considerations may include whether either parent has a higher earning potential, which parent pays for the children's health care, child care and other expenses, and if a child has special needs. In general, child support payments are made until children are 18, or longer under certain circumstances. One of our attorneys can meet with you to calculate what child support payments might be and who will pay them.

Determining If Temporary Or Permanent Spousal Support Is Needed

Unlike child support, spousal support calculations do not have strict guidelines. Instead, the law considers several factors to determine the appropriate amount and duration of spousal support. If the parties cannot agree, then it is up to the Judge to make the determination. A judge can order temporary support, which is paid after the initial court action is filed until the final divorce decree, and then order more permanent support, which is included in the final court orders. Our experienced family law attorneys can help evaluate whether spousal support is applicable to your case by looking at you and your spouse's income, assets and other resources.

Contact our firm today to discuss your spousal or child support needs. Call 937-401-2526 or send an online message using this website.